Keeping Your Data Safe
1. PURPOSE OF THIS NOTICE
This notice describes how we collect and use personal data about you, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Data Protection Act 1998 OR 2018 and any other national implementing laws, regulations and secondary legislation, as amended or updated from time to time, in the UK (‘Data Protection Legislation’).
Please read the following carefully to understand our practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
2. ABOUT US
Garratts Wolverhampton Limited (“Garratts“) are Auditors, Accountants and Tax advisors. We are registered in England and Wales as a limited company under number: 04701349 and our registered office is at 29 Waterloo Road, Wolverhampton, West Midlands, WV1 4DJ.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Legislation and this notice, we are the ‘data controller’. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal data about you. We are required under the Data Protection Legislation to notify you of the information contained in this privacy notice.
We have appointed a Data Protection Officer and is our Data Protection Point of Contact and is responsible for assisting with enquiries in relation to this privacy notice or our treatment of your personal data. Should you wish to contact our Data Protection Point of Contact you can do so using the contact details noted at paragraph 11 (Contact Us), below.
3. HOW WE MAY COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We obtain personal data about you, for example, when:
- you request a proposal from us in respect of the services we provide;
- you OR your employer OR our clients engages us to provide our services and also during the provision of those services;
- you contact us by email, telephone, post or social media (for example when you have a query about our services); or
- from third parties and/or publicly available resources (for example, from your employer, HMRC or from Companies House)
4. THE KIND OF INFORMATION WE HOLD ABOUT YOU
The information we hold about you may include the following:
- your personal details (such as your name, address, date of birth, National Insurance No: UTR);
- details of contact we have had with you in relation to the provision, or the proposed provision, of our services;
- details of any services you have received from us;
- our correspondence and communications with you;
- information about any complaints and enquiries you make to us;
- information from research, surveys, and marketing activities;
- Information we receive from other sources, such as publicly available information, information provided by your employer OR our clients or information from our member network firms.
5. HOW WE USE PERSONAL DATA WE HOLD ABOUT YOU
We may process your personal data for purposes necessary for the performance of our contract with you OR your employer OR our clients and to comply with our legal obligations.
We may process your personal data for the purposes necessary for the performance of our contract with our clients. This may include processing your personal data where you are an employee, subcontractor, supplier or customer of our client.
We may process your personal data for the purposes of our own legitimate interests provided that those interests do not override any of your own interests, rights and freedoms which require the protection of personal data. This includes processing for marketing, business development, statistical and management purposes.
We may process your personal data for certain additional purposes with your consent, and in these limited circumstances where your consent is required for the processing of your personal data then you have the right to withdraw your consent to processing for such specific purposes.
Please note that we may process your personal data for more than one lawful basis depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your data.
Situations in which we will use your personal data
We may use your personal data in order to:
- carry out our obligations arising from any agreements entered into between you OR your employer OR our clients and us (which will most usually be for the provision of our services);
- carry out our obligations arising from any agreements entered into between our clients and us (which will most usually be for the provision of our services) where you may be a subcontractor, supplier or customer of our client;
- provide you with information related to our services and our events and activities that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, provided you have consented to be contacted for such purposes;
- seek your thoughts and opinions on the services we provide; and
- notify you about any changes to our services.
In some circumstances we may anonymise or pseudonymise the personal data so that it can no longer be associated with you, in which case we may use it without further notice to you.
If you refuse to provide us with certain information when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have entered into with you. Alternatively, we may be unable to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations.
We may also process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, in accordance with this notice, where we are legally required or permitted to do so.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it is collected.
When assessing what retention period is appropriate for your personal data, we take into consideration:
- the requirements of our business and the services provided;
- any statutory or legal obligations;
- the purposes for which we originally collected the personal data;
- the lawful grounds on which we based our processing;
- the types of personal data we have collected;
- the amount and categories of your personal data; and
- whether the purpose of the processing could reasonably be fulfilled by other means.
Change of purpose
Where we need to use your personal data for another reason, other than for the purpose for which we collected it, we will only use your personal data where that reason is compatible with the original purpose.
Should it be necessary to use your personal data for a new purpose, we will notify you and communicate the legal basis which allows us to do so before starting any new processing.
6. DATA SHARING
Why might you share my personal data with third parties?
We will share your personal data with third parties where we are required by law, where it is necessary to administer the relationship between us or where we have another legitimate interest in doing so.
Which third-party service providers process my personal data?
“Third parties” includes third-party service providers and other members of our firm’s network. The following activities are carried out by third-party service providers: IT and cloud services and professional advisory services.
All of our third-party service providers are required to take commercially reasonable and appropriate security measures to protect your personal data. We only permit our third-party service providers to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
What about other third parties?
We may share your personal data with other third parties, for example in the context of the possible sale or restructuring of the business. We may also need to share your personal data with a regulator or to otherwise comply with the law.
7. RIGHTS OF ACCESS, CORRECTION, ERASURE, AND RESTRICTION
Your duty to inform us of changes
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Should your personal information change, please notify us of any changes of which we need to be made aware by contacting us, using the contact details below.
Your rights in connection with personal data
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data. This enables you to receive details of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are processing it lawfully.
- Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you.
- Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this basis. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal data about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal data to you or another data controller if the processing is based on consent, carried out by automated means and this is technically feasible.
If you want to exercise any of the above rights, please email our data protection point of contact .
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request for access is clearly unfounded or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with the request in such circumstances.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access the information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is another appropriate security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it.
8. RIGHT TO WITHDRAW CONSENT
In the limited circumstances where you may have provided your consent to the collection, processing and transfer of your personal data for a specific purpose (for example, in relation to direct marketing that you have indicated you would like to receive from us), you have the right to withdraw your consent for that specific processing at any time. To withdraw your consent, please email our data protection point of contact .
Once we have received notification that you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer process your personal information (personal data) for the purpose or purposes you originally agreed to, unless we have another legitimate basis for doing so in law.
9. CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
Any changes we may make to our privacy notice in the future will be updated on our website at: www.garratt.co.uk
This privacy notice was last updated on 5 June 2018
10. IP ADDRESSES AND COOKIES
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration reporting. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general website usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
- to estimate our audience size and usage pattern;
- to store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests;
- to speed up your searches; and
- to recognise you when you return to our site.
11. CONTACT US
If you have any questions regarding this notice or if you would like to speak to us about the manner in which we process your personal data, please email our Data Protection Point of Contact:
Mr Ravinder Chagger
Tel: 01902 773658
You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues, at any time. The ICO’s contact details are as follows:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Telephone – 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745
Website – https://ico.org.uk/concerns
IP ADDRESSES AND COOKIES
2.1 We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration reporting. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
2.2 For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general website usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
2.2.1 to estimate our audience size and usage pattern;
2.2.2 to store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests;
2.2.3 to speed up your searches; and
2.2.4 to recognise you when you return to our site.
Accurate financial information and pragmatic advice is fundamental to the success of any business. Our inherent corporate culture coupled with a totally professional service provides our clients with an extra dimension, whatever their business.
Our focus is on our business philosophies - working partnerships, total commitment. These, coupled with resourcefulness, when applied dynamically, achieve growth and success, whatever the nature of the business.
The success of these philosophies has enabled Garratts to become one of the region’s largest independent professional service practices, primarily through client recommendations. From offices at the financial heart of Wolverhampton, a dedicated team of over twenty professionals serves a client base that ranges from small and new businesses to privately owned medium sized companies across all areas of business and commerce.
Seamless, reliable and quality accounts preparation for all sizes of business, including sole traders, partnerships and limited companies.
We work with a team of IFAs, who can provide you with impartial independent financial advice regarding a wide range of investments and pensions.
Covering all aspects of tax relief, capital gains and subsidies across a range of sectors including medical, manufacturing, agriculture and construction.
What Our Clients Say
“ We have used Garratts for Tax Advice and the submitting of our returns to the I.R. for many years now. Apart from the efficient way in which the returns have been done it has been re-assuring to have always dealt with one accountant and to be easily able to reach her for advice when necessary. ”
Chris & Annette - Flints Partnership
“ Starting my own business was a very exciting time for me until I encountered book keeping and VAT etc., it then became very daunting but, big thanks to Garratts who explained every aspect to me in plain English so much so that I am now more than confident to keep my own accounts for my business. Not only do I consider Garratts part of my company I consider them as friends. ”
Joseph Farrow - JF Tiling Ltd.
“ After a number of years using ‘One of the Big Four’ Accountancy firms, we moved to Garratts more than a decade ago and we have been delighted with the service we’ve received. Our Company has seen a good deal of change – we’ve been through the highs and lows of the economic cycle, we’ve sold trading divisions, we’ve moved into new areas of business and we’ve expanded significantly.
Keeping control, keeping an understanding of our financial situation and keeping on top of our statutory obligations has certainly not become any easier over that time. Our relationship with Garratts has been very important to us. We get a highly professional service from faces we know well and well informed opinion and all for a very competitive price. I’m very pleased to recommend the firm to others. ”
Tim Edwards, Chariman - Boningale Ltd.
“ Since our introduction to Garratts back in 2002 when we formed the company, they have provided the tailored level of service that we needed throughout out our period of growth over the next few years. This led to the formation of another business which again Garratts formed for us and have continued to look after as we have grown in the ever difficult market sector in which we exist.
Through Garratts total understanding of the different businesses they are best placed to provide us with efficient and tax optimising solutions as we concentrate on the main activities of the businesses while always providing the day to day advice and input as and when required. ”
Mark Owen, MD - ARO Properties Ltd. & DKM Homes Ltd.
29 Waterloo Road
ICAEW Chartered Accountants